By Raw Food Ideas
Raw Alkaline Foods
Healthy energy, good digestion, proper weight, and freedom from pain and disease depend in large part on the pH balance of the body, which in turn is largely determined by diet choices.
Superior health depends on eating at least 70% alkaline forming foods. In general this can be easily achieved by consuming plenty of fresh raw organic vegetables and fruits, and avoiding sugary foods and excessive protein.
While many foods may be alkaline in their natural state, modern food processing techniques changes them for the worse, rendering them acid forming.
What Is This Thing Called pH?
The pH scale (potential of Hydrogen) runs from 0 to 14. The higher the pH of a solution, the more alkaline or oxygen rich it is; the lower the pH, the more oxygen deprived or acidic it is. To maintain health, human blood must be maintained at a slightly alkaline pH, within the range of 7.35 – 7.45. Outside this range, many health problems develop. The body must buffer an acid condition by borrowing the alkalinizing minerals which include potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium, from bones and vital organs. This leads to degenerative diseases and chronic problems. You can test the pH of either your saliva or urine using pH test strips.
Consequences Of An Acidic Body
Research affirms that healing is not possible unless the body is slightly alkaline. No means of improving health will be successful in an acidic body, because acidosis inhibits the body’s ability to absorb nutrients, to repair cells, to produce energy and to detoxify heavy metals.
In this unhealthy environment, tumor cells thrive and fatigue and illness take over. Over acidity contributes to a plethora of problems, including:
Kidney stones, Immune deficiency, Hormonal problems, Cardiovascular damage, Premature aging, Loss of drive and joy, Pale complexion, Loose, painful teeth, Lack of energy, Mouth and stomach ulcers, Falling, dull hair, Gastritis, Leg cramps and spasms, Joint pain, Osteoporosis, Lactic acid buildup, Eyelid inflammation, Dry skin
The Health Benefits Of Raw Alkaline Forming Foods
Since the lion’s share of the western diet is made of up acid forming foods such as sugar, caffeine, animal protein and processed foods, one must make a conscious effort to choose foods that will alkalinize the body. While it is not necessary restrict the diet to only alkaline foods, it is essential to emphasize these in your daily diet to achieve optimum health.
The pH of a food does not indicate its alkalinizing or acidifying effect on the body. A case in point is the lemon, which all would agree is highly acidic, but is among the most strongly alkaline foods known. Because of the way the body processes the lemon, it leaves what is known as “alkaline ash” and has a marked alkalinizing effect.
List Of Alkaline Foods:
• The most highly alkalinizing food are lemons and watermelon, followed by celery, parsley, dates, figs, mangos, melons, papaya and stevia
•Most vegetables, including greens, cruciferous veggies, tomatoes and root crops are alkalinizing, except corn, lentils, olives and winter squash.
• Most fruits including citrus, melons and berries are alkaline forming, except canned fruits, cranberries, plums and prunes.
• Protein sources which are alkaline are limited, but include almonds, chestnuts, millet, tempeh (fermented), tofu (fermented), and whey
• All herbs, sea salt, kelp, seaweed and some spices such as cinnamon, ginger, chili pepper and curry are alkalinizing.
• Some minerals have a high alkaline: caesium, potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium
Acid Forming Foods To Avoid
• Most dried beans and other legumes are acidifying.
• Drugs, chemicals, artificial sweeteners, food additives, tobacco and alcohol, as well as soft drinks, tea and coffee are strongly acidic forming.
• Most fats and oils, except olive oil, canola oil and flax seed oil are somewhat acidifying and should be used in moderation.
Do not avoid beneficial oils as their other health benefits outweigh any pH consideration.